ISLAMABAD: An airplane of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) will depart for Yemen Tuesday morning around 10 am to evacuate the second batch of Pakistani citizens stranded in the war-stricken country.
Shujaat Azeem, the Prime Minister's Special Assistant on Aviation, told Geo News that the foreign office had arranged authorization to fly over Yemen's no fly zone for the first PIA plane that brought back 503 citizens to Pakistan earlier this morning.
Pakistan evacuated its first batch of citizens as Saudi-led air strikes hammered Houthi rebel targets, with a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition confirming they had “ensured a safe corridor” by suspending operations around Hodeidah airport for a few hours to allow Pakistan “to evacuate its citizens”.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was personally monitoring the evacuation and had directed officials to ensure the safe return of every citizen, a spokesman of Sharif’s office said.
Also read: PIA plane brings over 500 Pakistanis back from Yemen
Azeem said that a second PIA plane was on standby, and will depart for Yemen around 10 am Tuesday morning to evacuate 250 Pakistanis still stranded there.
A PIA spokesman confirmed that a second, smaller plane with a capacity of around 230 passengers was being kept on standby.